"The Pugilist Break" is the fifth episode of Forever. It aired on October 14, 2014.
"What looks like a drug overdose death of a reformed junkie-turned community activist results in Henry and Jo tracking a murderer. The complex investigation involves dirty dealings between a real estate developer and a community organizer with millions of dollars at stake. Henry flashes back to the same 1890s New York tenement where he worked as a doctor to help the poor, including an orphan boy who gives him a special handmade gift. Meanwhile, Abe cooks up a Sunday dinner feast for Henry, Jo and himself. When Jo tries to find out how the two men know one another, Henry weaves an elaborate tale to cover the truth."
- James Colby as Tommy Delgros
- Cornelius Smith Jr. as Fabian North
- Julian Gamble as Landlord
- "Every generation likes to think they're improving on the last, that progress is inevitable, that the future holds less misery and suffering than the past. But the truth is, some things never change. History has a way of repeating itself. It's just most people don't live long enough to see it happen." —Henry
- "Well, that's just rude." —Henry
- "Rats have been known to carry Lassa fever, hantavirus, salmonella, and, of course, let's not forget the black death. I highly recommend that you don't get bit." —Henry to Lucas
- "Putting food in your mouth and eating are two very different things." —Henry to Jo about food
- "But some things do change. Years ago, boxers fought bare-knuckled. In 1855, one bout lasted 6 hours, 15 minutes. Back then, the so-called ring was an actual ring, made up of rowdy, bloodthirsty spectators. That's not to say that fights are fair today. The big guy's gloves are still loaded a little heavier, but it's no reason to stop fighting." —Henry
- Episode recap at Forever official website – archived from the original on April 29, 2015
- Episode at IMDB
- Watch this episode on CW Seed
- Listings, TheFutonCritic.com